This Wheaton, IL landscape project required us to use a great deal of innovation in order to tie in the remaining plantings and architectural elements with the new.
Landscape Renovation Challenge
Restore, rebuild, and renovate a landscape that had been destroyed in a tragic home fire while updating the landscape and hardscape to modern trends without exceeding the set budget.
- Renovate and update the front entry.
- Replace and replant mature plantings that were damaged or destroyed.
- Restore lawn that was damaged during the fire and construction process.
- Resurface the concrete patio and create additional outdoor entertaining space.
- Replace stone pathways that suffered breakage due to extreme heat from the fire and construction activity.
Landscape Renovation Solution
- Design and install a new Beacon Hill Flagstone Paved Entry with Copthorne Border work and Ledgestone Copings on a new porch with curved profile. This solution provides an elegant leading effect to the doorway, while also offering additional offload space when parking vehicles close to the entry.
- Install new large specimen plantings to maintain balance with the mature setting and reuse any salvageable plantings.
- Grade and sod lawn.
- Install a brick overlay on top of existing concrete patio. In this situation, we re-leveled the uneven concrete with a new dry set mortar mix and installed Beacon Hill Flagstone to match the front entry. As a means of providing additional space for entertaining, we recommended a new Bluestone paved patio with a beautiful gas firepit.
- The garden pathways were redone in extra large Bluestone slabs that matched the patio. These pathways are easy to navigate, cost effective, and look so welcoming.
When our clients had a party to celebrate the end of this landscaping project, we watched everyone gather around to socialize on the beautiful outdoor patio areas. Being able to experience this first-hand was priceless.
Landscaping Materials Used
- We incorporated Unilock Beacon Hill Flagstone with Copthorne borderwork in the front.
- Integrated Unilock ledgestone copings at porch.
- Unilock Beacon Hill Flagstone with Copthorne accent row and Brussels Premier soldier border.
- Bluestone for the patio, garden pathways, and outcroppings.
- Trees, shrubs, perennials.
If you enjoy welcoming guests to your home, an outdoor entertainment area can be a worthwhile investment. We can help you create an inviting and practical extension of your living space into the outdoors.
To see more examples of our recent projects, take a look at our landscape design portfolio or contact us at (630) 932-8966 for a no-obligation consultation.