When the sun sets, residential LED landscaping lighting will offer you a more cost-effective and sustainable alternative to traditional halogen or incandescent bulbs. While traditional bulbs may be cheaper in the short term, the long-term benefits of outdoor LED lighting will most assuredly outweigh your initial investment.
- Low voltage LED landscape lighting is much more energy efficient. This means it uses considerably less electricity than traditional incandescent or halogen lighting.
- LED lighting is more cost-effective. Since LEDs are more energy efficient, they are also more cost-effective. In other words, if you have been paying $100 for your monthly electric bill with traditional lighting, switching over to LED lighting can bring your bill down to as little as $20 a month.
- LED lighting is safer. Ninety-five percent of the energy in an LED bulb is converted into light and five percent is wasted as heat. This favorable ratio keeps LEDs cool to touch and reduces the risk of fire hazards and burns to your skin.
- Less maintenance. LED lights have the longest lifespan and associated warranties by 2 to 10 times over the nearest competing lighting technology. In other words, the lifespan of LED bulbs can be up to 10 times longer than a traditional bulb.
- Low voltage LED lighting produces a very high quality light with a wide range of characteristics. When landscaping is illuminated by LEDs, color temperature and rendering are considerably more natural. Color temperature is more of a personal preference, although LEDs are available in a much wider range. Color rendering is much more objective with values above 90 generally considered to be excellent.
- LEDs are a green landscape lighting alternative. They are considered an eco-wise landscape lighting choice because they are free of toxic elements (like mercury) and don’t require special recycling instructions.
- Low voltage LED lighting now features interchangeable optics. This means that you can adjust the beam angle (switch your outdoor lighting from spot to flood or vice versa) and light intensity (number of lumens) using a dimmer.
- You get higher durability with LED landscape lights. LEDs aren’t encapsulated in glass and don’t use a filament or neon gas, which actually makes LEDs more durable. They can withstand shock, constant vibration and major fluctuations in temperature much better than traditional bulbs.
- Fewer outdoor pests. Summertime insects that are normally drawn to the UV light that comes from halogen bulbs aren’t as attracted to LED lighting because they don’t emit this type of UV light. If you want less buzzing and swatting, make the switch to LEDs.
- Premium LED lighting fixtures come in brass, bronze, and copper finishes that last longer and are much more durable than traditional powder coated aluminum.
Now that you know more about the benefits of LED landscape lighting, you can pick up some tips on lighting placement, or ask us about a free onsite lighting consultation by calling 630-932-8966.